Why Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt becomes headache for Maharashtra govt

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Sanjay Dutt
Mumbai, Feb 25: Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt seems to have become a headache for Maharashtra government which recently has received a notice from the Centre regarding the extended parole granted to the actor.

The centre asked the state government to explain repeated parole given to the actor who is serving a six year jail term in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.

The Home Ministry has written to the state government asking why the 54-year-old actor has been given the special privilege of parole thrice in the 9 months he has been in jail.

Sanjay Dutt was allegedly provided alcohol inside Pune jail

Mr Dutt was convicted by the Supreme Court of illegal possession of arms and was sentenced to six years of imprisonment. He had earlier served 18 months. He surrendered before a Mumbai court in May to serve the remaining term.

Mr Dutt has been out on parole since December 21 and was to return to the Yerawada Jail in Pune on February 21. Reports said his parole was extended again till March 21 on his request to be with his wife Manyata, who is said to be unwell, and his twin children.

The Bombay High Court is also expected to take up on February 25, a petition that questions the grounds on which the authorities have granting parole and furlough to the actor. Earlier, Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil had said the state government will investigate allegations that the actor was being provided alcohol in jail.

OneInda News
(With agency inputs)

Please Wait while comments are loading...