The children complained of uneasiness after the meal Sonbarsa middle school in Maharajganj block. District authorities have taken food samples and have also interrogated the school principal who said that the children complained of a dead lizard.
Siwan District Magistrate Sanjay Kumar Singh, however said,"It may or may not be true. I have asked a district official to probe the incident and submit a report as soon as possible." Moreover, the doctors who examined the children did not find any sign of poison in their bodies.
THis is not a lone incident in Bihar where 72,000 schools are running the mid-day meal schemes and 16 million students are availing it. Just last week 54 students fell ill in the Sitamarhi district after a dead snake was found in the meal. Likewise, lizards, frogs, insects were also found in the past in different occasions.
Last year, 23 students died after eating poisonous food at a primary school in Dharmasati Gandaman village in Saran district.