Batla House encounter was fake, will demand probe, says AAP leader Amanatullah Khan

New Delhi, Feb 10: After winning from Okhla constituency in Delhi Assembly elections, AAP candidate Amanatullah Khan on Tuesday said his party would demand a probe in the 2008 Batla House shootout case.

Terming the incident "fake", Khan said: "The 2008 Batla House encounter was fake. I will appeal to the centre to probe the encounter which happened under the Congress rule."

After winning in Delhi polls, AAP leader Amanatullah Khan says, will demand probe in Batla House case.
Khan defeated the Bharatiya Janata Party's Braham Singh by 64,532 votes.

Few days back, the name of Amanatullah Khan, AAP leader from Okhla had cropped up yet again in connection with the Indian Mujahideen (IM). In a letter to Arvind Kejriwal, Vishisht Seva Medal awardee Poonia had alleged that Khan was supporting Zia-Ur-Rehman, an alleged Indian Mujahideen operative accused of blasts in Delhi and Ahmedabad.

Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar had earlier said that a controversy took place around the encounter following a "propaganda" and "disinformation campaign".

Also read: AAP's Amanatullah Khan and the Indian Mujahideen allegation

"It was very unique operation, unprecedented. It (the operation) is a matter of great pride for Delhi police...They (the policemen) managed to neutralise terrorists and in the bargain, one of them lost his life. Indeed, it was a unique experience," Kumar said.

He said the National Human Rights Commission had conducted an inquiry into the operation which had also confirmed it to be a genuine operation.

"The NHRC conducted the inquiry for the Delhi high court, so in a manner of speaking, it was a judicial inquiry. So, because the NHRC gave reports confirming that it was a genuine encounter and does not in the way take away its authenticity, it was accepted by the apex court as well," Kumar said.

He said the force had learnt lessons from the encounter.

"We learn lessons from every encounter, every experience and operation...Indeed, we learnt lessons," he said.

A Delhi court had earlier convicted suspected Indian Mujahideen terrorist Shahzad Ahmad for murdering police inspector Mohan Chand Sharma in the 2008 Batla House encounter, an incident which Congress leader Digvijaya Singh had dubbed as "fake", triggering a major controversy.

The encounter had taken place at flat no L-18, Batla House in Jamia Nagar locality six days after serial bomb blasts rocked Delhi, killing 26 persons and injuring 133 others. The Batla House shootout took place Sep 19, 2008 in which two suspected Indian Mujahideen terrorists - Atif Amin and Mohamed Sajid - were killed, while two others - Mohd. Saif and Zeeshan - were arrested. One accused, Ariz Khan, escaped.

Of the five flat occupants, Atif Ameen and Mohd Sajid were killed during the encounter.

Delhi Police inspector Mohan Chand Sharma was killed in the operation. Highly-decorated Delhi Police Inspector Sharma succumbed to bullet injuries sustained during the gun battle, while head constable Balwant was injured.

Soon after the incident, Digvijaya Singh had created a big furore going public with a demand for a judicial probe into the encounter calling it fake. The government, however, rejected his demand and stuck to its position that the encounter was genuine.

OneIndia News

(With inputs from agencies)

Please Wait while comments are loading...