Guwahati, Aug 24: The Assam government today sought an interim relief of Rs 500 crore for relief, rehabilitation and repair works in flood-affected areas across the state, which has claimed lives of at least 13 persons so far.
"We will seek Rs 500 crore as an interim relief from the Centre. Many areas are still under water, so the final assessment of damages will take some time," Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said in a press conference here.
The Assam government has adequate funds for immediate relief operations, but the Central assistance would be required to carry out repair works of the damage infrastructure, he said.
Gogoi, however, lamented the Centre has not released the amount that the state government sought after floods last year. Talking about the current situation, he said the rains have stopped in many places and water level was slowly coming down.
"As soon as the water level goes down, we will start assessing the damages of roads, embankments, bridges and other vital infrastructure," Gogoi said.
Till yesterday, the current deluge had claimed 13 persons across many districts in the state. The floods have affected 18 districts with the worst-hit being Dhubri, Goalpara, Chirang, Kokrajhar and Bongaigaon.
A population of 6.16 lakh people across 1,291 villages were currently suffering and altogether 260 relief camps have been opened so far with 1.79 lakh persons taking shelter in them.