Army Chief tells troops to maintain maximum restraint in Kashmir Valley

Written by: OneIndia Defence Bureau

Srinagar, July 20: The Chief of Army Staff Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag on Wednesday visited Srinagar-based Chinar Corps and reviewed the security situation in Kashmir. The Chief's visit was in the backdrop of the dawn to dusk curfew entering its 12th day in the Valley.

According to the Indian Army sources in Srinagar, Gen Dalbir Singh was briefed by Northern Army Commander Lt Gen D S Hooda and Chinar Corps Commander Lt Gen Satish Dua on the situation along the Line of Control.

Indian Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag

"The Chief was briefed about the measures initiated ensuring close coordination with all security and other government agencies towards maintaining peace in the Valley," an official said.

The Chief visited the Kupwara Division and Awantipur-based Victor Force and reviewed the preparedness of Indian Army owing to the current unrest.

"He gave a very patient hearing to the needs and views of the soldiers. In addition to getting an update on operational preparedness, he was also informed about the steps taken by Army in helping the civilians," an official said.

During his interaction with the troops, he wanted everyone to ensure strict vigil along the LoC.

"The Army Chief complimented the troops and other security agencies for their synergy in counter-terrorist operations. He asked the troops to show maximum restraint even if they faced grave provocation," the official added.

The Chief requested the Awaam to maintain peace and so that the security forces could serve them better.

Meanwhile, an Army spokesperson said that Kargil Vijay Diwas would be celebrated at Drass from July 21 to 26. A series of events have been planned to mark the occasion.

In a Facebook post, Yasir Mushtaq, a television journalist working in Bengaluru and hailing from Baramula, says that for the last many days private mobile services have been badly hit in the Valley.

"I reached Kashmir on July 15 and my mobile stopped working suspended services. Since then I am cut off from rest of India. Around 3000 people have been injured and more than 60 have died in the Valley. Protests still continue in various parts of the Valley. Hope things will become normal soon. I cannot come out without a curfew pass," he writes.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...