Chennai, April 1: In a major development the Enforcement Directorate attached properties of former telecom minister and DMK leader Dayanidhi Maran worth around Rs 700 crore. The action was taken as part of the ongoing investigation into the Aircel-Maxis deal.
The action by the ED was taken by invoking the provisions under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act. The total value of the scam estimated by the ED runs into Rs 742 crore. [Dayanidhi Maran moves bail plea in Aircel-Maxis case]
List of properties attached:
Under the priovisions of Section 5(1) of the prevention of money laundering act the ED has attached the following properties:
- Fixed deposits held by Dayanidhi Maran and others - Rs. 7.47 Crores.
- Fixed deposits held by SDTPL - Rs. 31.34 Crores.
- Fixed deposits held by SAFL - Rs. 6.19 Crores
- Mutual Funds held by SAFL - Rs.15.14 Crores.
- Fixed Deposit held by Kalanithi Maran - Rs 100 Crores.
- Mutual Funds held by Kalanithi Maran - Rs. 2.78 Crores.
- Fixed Deposit held by Kaveri Kalanithi - Rs 1.30 Crores.
- Mutual Funds held by Kaveri Kalanithi - Rs. 1.78 Crores.
- Land and Building owned by M/s Kal Comm Private Limited - Rs. 171.55 Crores.
- Free Hold Land and Building owned by M/s Sun Network TV Pvt. Ltd - Rs. 266 Crores.
- Shares of SDTPL held by Kalanithi Maran - Rs. 139 Crores.
In this case, CBI has filed chargesheet against the Maran brothers and their companies including the foreign companies and individuals in whch these persons are charges for the offences punishable under section 120-B of IPC read with section 7, 12 and section 13(2) read with section 13(1)(d) of PC Act.
Hence the attachment of the illegal gratification by Dayanidhi Maran has been done thereafter, as per provisions of PMLA. The investigation revealed that illegal gratification of Rs. 742.58 crores was paid by the companies based in Mauritius for Dayanidhi Maran, in the two companies namely M/s Sun Direct TV Pvt. Ltd (SDTPL) and M/s South Asia FM Ltd (SAFL).
These two companies are owned and controlled by Kalanithi Maran, brother of Dayanidhi Maran. The money has been utilized by the companies in their business or investments.
The investigation under PMLA has further revealed that promoters of the SDTPL are Kalanithi Maran and Kaveri Kalanithi.
These two persons hold 80% shares of SDTPL. The shareholders of SAFL are M/s Sun TV Network Limited (60%) and 20% each are M/s A.H. Multisoft Pvt Ltd. and M/s South Asia Multimedia Technologies Ltd., Mauritius.
Sh. Kalanithi Maran is holding 75% share of M/s Sun TV Network Limited. Sh. Kalanithi Maran and Smt. Kaveri Kalanithi are having 90% and 10% shareholding respectively in a company M/s Kal Comm Pvt. Ltd.