New Delhi, Oct 6: Two months after AAP legislators approached the Delhi government for a revision in their salaries, the committee set up over the same has recommended a hike of increase in the salary of MLAs by a whopping 400 per cent.
The committee set up by Delhi Assembly Speaker Ram Niwas Goel has suggested that raising the basic salary of the legislators from the current Rs 12,000 to Rs 50,000.
Earlier in July this year, ruling Aam Aadmi Party MLAs in the national capital complained that Rs 82,000 per month for a lawmaker was not enough and that it should be increased. Following this demand, the Speaker had appointed committee. [Rs 82,000 per month salary not enough? AAP MLAs seek hike in salaries]
Here is a break up of salary as recommended by the expert committee:
* Basic salary: from Rs 12,000 to Rs 50,000
* Constituency allowance: from Rs 18,000 to Rs 50,000.
* Allowance for office assistants: Rs 70,000 per month (for research, computer operators, office assistant etc. The amount is to be reimbursed on production of recipt.)
* Allowance for office rent: Upto Rs 25,000
* Communication allowance: From Rs 8000 to Rs 10,000
* Conveyance allowance: From Rs 6000 to Rs 30,000
* Daily allowance: From Rs 1000 to Rs 2000 (When the Assembly is in session.)
* One time allowance for furnishing office Rs 1 lakh
Subsidy of Rs 4000 for electricity has been scrapped as per the recommendation made by the Assembly committee.
Almost all of the 67 MLAs of the Aam Aadmi Party are on the same page on the issue. Meanwhile, BJP has condemned the Arvind Kejriwal government and termed it a bad move.
Praveen Kumar, Saurabh Bharadwaj, Rituraj, Akhilesh Pati Tripathi, Nitin Tyagi, Sarita Singh, Sanjeev Jha were among those who have sought a hike.