8-year old administered nitrous oxide instead of 'oxygen', dead

Indore, May 30: In a horrifying incident at a government hospital in Indore, an 8-year old boy died after being wrongly administered nitrous oxide instead of oxygen. Nitrous Oxide is a widely used anaesthetic.

8 year-old Ayush died on Friday after the gross medical negligence. Although the hospital authorities blamed the contractor who fixed the gas pipes in the modular paediatric operation theatre where the children were treated, the latter said that his duty was to fix the pipeline, but the hospital authorities were responsible for using those gas to supply the gas.

Madhya Pradesh

Meanwhile, the operation theater has been sealed and a first information report has been registered. A senior surgeon at the hospital, Sumit Shukla said that there are two colour-coded pipes in th eoperation theater, one for oxygen and the other for nitrous oxide, which is used widely for its anaesthetic and analgesic effects.

Shukla further said that the hospital was conducting its own enquiry as to how the horrible incident happened. Some people, however, said that the hospital authorities were guilty of the gross medical negligence. Local legislator and Congress leader Jitu Patwari blamed the authorities and sought action against them.

Contractor Rajendra Chadhary, said that he had been made a scapegoat. "My job was only to install the pipes. Using those pipes to supply gas was the job of the hospital," he said.

Maharaja Yeshwantrao Hospital is th elargets government hopsital in Indore.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...