The people had consumed sweetmeats last night during the ceremony at Alengmora Khutiaputa area under Pulibor police station here and soon after complained of severe stomachache and vomiting, Jorhat Joint Director-Health Dr Sarat Chandra Das said. Among the affected, 26 were under four years of age and 37 women and 30 men, he said.
They were initially admitted to Solmora Primary Health Centre and later shifted to Jorhat Medical College Hospital. The affected persons were still undergoing treatment and are stated to be out of danger, Das said. The food poisoning is suspected to have been caused by the milk powder, which had allegedly expired three months ago, used in making the sweetmeat.
Jorhat Deputy Commissioner Solanki Vishal Vasant has ordered an enquiry into the incident.