Korba (C'garh), Dec 10: At least 35 students of a government-run school fell ill after they consumed seeds of toxic Jatropha plant, which is used for bio-fuel, at a village in Korba district of Chhattisgarh, officials said today.
The children of government primary and middle school at Sakdukala village under Kartala police station limits fell ill after they ate jatropha seeds outside the school premises yesterday, Block Medical Officer (Korba development block) Dr Birendra Singh Kanwar said.
However, the condition of the children is stable and all of them have now been discharged from the hospital, he said.
After having the mid-day meal, the students had gone outside school premises to play, during which they consumed seeds of Jatropha plant locally known as 'Ratanjot', probably thinking that it was some fruit, the BMO said.
Subsequently, they complained of uneasiness and some of them fell unconscious, following which other students informed teachers and their parents.
Read More: Chhattisgarh: 35 school kids fall ill
As many as 35 students, including five girls, who had developed complications, were rushed to government health centre Kartala, around 25 kms away from here, the BMO said. After their recovery, they were discharged from the hospitals, he added.