Mathura, May 5: Two children died and 46 others hospitalised after consuming milk as a part of mid day meal at a school in Kansi Ram colony here, police said. The deceased have been identified as Essan (5) and 4-year-old Kirti.
The children complained of diarrhoea yesterday after they consumed milk at the Junior High School DIET, Kunvar Anupam Singh, Assistant SP said, adding, samples of the milk and water have been taken.
The exact cause of food poisoning is being ascertained, Rajesh Kumar, District Magistrate said. While 22 children were admitted in the District Hospital 19 were admitted in Swarn Jayanti Hospital. Besides four other children and the mother of two were admitted to a multi-specialty hospital in a serious condition.
35-year-old Nazma, mother of Sanya and Besma was taken ill after she might have consumed the milk brought home by her children, Dr Sajjan Kumar, Chief Medical officer said.
The incident happened last evening when children studying in DIET (District Institute of Education and Training) campus based Anganvadi, Primary School and Junior High School complained of diarrhoea after they were given milk as mid-day meal.
Administration swung into action after they were informed about the death of two children during the night and the condition of others. "We came to know about food poisoning only at 9.00 AM today.
Not only teams of doctors were rushed then,but every precaution was taken," ADM administration AK Awasthi said. Two teams of doctors have been stationed at Kanshi Ram colony," the CMO said, adding, one team of doctors is providing door to door pre-treatment.
As precautionary measure, use of water from the overhead tank of Kanshi Ram Colony has been banned and for the time being water in the colony is being supplied by tankers.