What is the case?
- The NGO of Salman Khurshid allegedly fudged documents to swindle funds allocated for the welfare of disabled people.
- The disclosure was made by a private news channel in 2012.
- It was reported that Khurshid's NGO, Zakir Hussain Memorial Trust, forged signatures and stamps of senior officials of several districts in UP.
- Khurshid's act deprived the physically challenged of the grants.
- The investigation done by the news channel termed as 'Operation Dhritrashtra'.
- The Economic offence wing of Uttar Pradesh is investigating the issue.
The Zakir Hussain Trust
- This trust is registered as an NGO at residence of Khurshid in Gulmohar Avenue, Jamia Nagar, Delhi.
- Khurshid's wife Louise is its chief functionary officer.
- The trust is operating in many States and receiving grants from several ministries of the Government of India.
What is Khurshid's stand in the case?
- Louise Khurshid has so far denied the allegations.
- She said the allegations are false, malicious and baseless.
Salman Khurshid, a prominent Muslim face in Congress
- Salman Khurshid is the grandson of the third President of India Dr Zakir Hussain.
- Khurshid was elected to the 15th Lok Sabha from Farrukhabad constituency in Uttar Pradesh.
- He is the most prominent Muslim face of the Congress.
- Khurshid held the Foreign Affairs portfolio in Narasimha Rao Government between 1993-96.