The actor-politician made the comments during a visit to her parliamentary constituency on Monday.
What Hema Malini said?
- Hema Malini said the widows from Bihar and West Bengal should not jam Vrindavan.
- She said so after finding poor living conditions in a shelter homes in Vrindavan.
- Hema said these widows have a bank balance, good earnings, comfortable beds, but they still chose to beg deliberately.
What is ground reality in Vrindavan?
- The holy city of Vrindavan is home to thousands of destitute women from different States including West Bengal and Bihar.
- Around 2,000 widows live in half-a-dozen ashrams and shelter homes in Vrindavan.
What is Opposition saying?
- Congress leader Shobha Oza has termed Hema's comments as unfortunate.
- Oza said BJP leaders are attempting to divide the country and society.
MP Hema: More in limelight, less on ground
- The Bollywood veteran earlier irked the locals of her constituency after she went missing making tall promises.
- Locals came up with Hema's "missing" posters all over the city, burnt her effigy and even took out her 'funeral procession' to protest against her absence.
- The first-time Lok Sabha MP also faced criticism for her poor attendance in Parliament.
- According to PRS, Hema attendance record has been just 14% from 2012-14), and 0% attendance so far this year.