What happened to Kavita Karkare?
- She was admitted to a hospital after she suffered a brain haemorrhage and slipped into a coma.
- On Monday, she was under medical observation at Hinduja Hospital in Mahim.
- Her daughters and son have consented to donate her organs for the treatment of needy patients.
[Also Read: Kavita Karkare passes away]
Who was Hemant Karkare?
- Hemant Karkare was the chief of the Mumbai Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS).
- He was killed in action during the 2008 Mumbai attacks after being shot three times in the chest.
- Karkare was killed along with ACP Ashok Kamte and encounter specialist Vijay Salaskar in the lane adjoining the St Xavier's College in south Mumbai.
- His bravery was honoured with the Ashoka Chakra on 26 January 2009.
Kavita refused Narendra Modi's financial offer
- In 2008, Kavita refused to receive amount from Rs 1 crore reward announced by then Gujarat CM Narendra Modi.
- Kavita once slammed Congress leader Digvijay Singh for comments that Hindu outfits could have killed her husband.
- She said that parties should stop playing politics around the sacrifice of martyrs.
The 2008 Mumbai attacks
- In November 2008, 10 terrorists took a boat into Mumbai and carried out coordinated shooting and bombing attacks lasting four days across the city.
- Nearly 166 people were killed and 300 were injured.
- Shooting began at Chhatrapati Shivaji rail station, one of the world's busiest, at 9.20 pm.
- Within the hour, other attacks occur at four other locations: Nariman House, Leopold's restaurant, Oberoi hotel and The Taj Mahal Palace.