A totalof 475 pledged delegates were at stake, which is more than any other state. California, a Democratic-inclined state has had a long history of preferring Democrats over the Republicans. While there were no primaries held for the Democratic party from the state, Hillary Clinton had made her mark again in 2008 primaries here.
In fact, she won over Barack Obama 52 to 43%. In a way, this has become Clinton's home ground.
However, there are more than one reasons why California is important for the Democrats, especially when we are weighing the chances of winning against the business tycoon Donald Trump who is representing the Republicans.
1. California delegate haul represented about 20 percent of the 2,383 delegates needed to secure the Democratic nomination and almost 12 percent of the 4,038 pledged delegates up for grabs in 2016.
2. On June 2, California super delegates have expressed their backing for Hillary Clinton
3. Visa vie Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump had only 172 pledged delegates
4. California is expected to have 548 delegates at the 2016 Democratic National Convention, of which 475 are pledged delegates. The unpledged delegates account for 13.3%, which means just 73.
5. California has a total of 73 superdelegates who vouch for Hillary Clinton. Till now, close to 52 superdelegates were known to have expressed their support for Hillary Clinton, while the support of 21 superdelegates was unknown.
6. 6. As compared to Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump has lesser support from within his own party members. For instance, Marco Rubio was among other Republican candidates who shows hesitance in supporting Trump over Clinton.