Narendra Modi who became the first Prime Minister in 15 years to visit Iran inked 12 pacts. Among these pacts the one which is considered to be the most important is the one in which both countries have decided to develop the Chabahar port.
The developing of the Chabahar port has several advantages for both countries. While it signals economic cooperation between the two countries, it would also allow Indian to by pass Pakistan while accessing the global markets.
The importance of the Chabahar port:
- The port will allow India to bypass Pakistan and reach out to the global markets.
- It would counter China's growing influence on the Indian Ocean. China is currently developing the Gwadar Port in Pakistan which is also 100 kms away from the Chabahar port.
- This port would help in evolving bi-lateral investments with Iran.
- The railway line to be set up by IRCON International will help transport good to Afghanistan.
- The rail line would also link India to Iran's railway network.