What is the Ice Bucket Challenge?
• The Ice Bucket Challenge, also known as the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, is an activity involving dumping a bucket of ice water on one's head.
• If the aforesaid is not done then, donation is made to the ALS Association in the United States.
• In the challenge, those who have been nominated have to pour a bucket of ice water on their heads and also make a video of the same.
• The nominated people have 24 hours to complete the challenge, either by pouring the ice cold water or by making the financial donation.
How did it start?
• In the Northern-Hemisphere summer of 2014, the Ice Bucket Challenge went viral on social media and became a pop culture phenomenon, particularly in the United States, with numerous celebrities, politicians, athletes, and other people posting videos of themselves on the social media.
• After the Ice Bucket Challenge went viral on social media, public awareness for ALS increased.
• On August 18, 2014, the ALS Association announced that it had received $15.6 million in donations compared to $1.8 million during the same time period (July 29 to August 18) in the prior year.
What are the rules for the challenge?
• Within 24 hours of being challenged, those who have been challenged have to record a video while performing the challenge.
• First, they have to announce their acceptance of the challenge.
• Then one has to pouring ice into a bucket of water and then the bucket is to be lifted overhead and poured over the participant's head.
• After completing this, the participant challenges other people to take the challenge.
• If you can't brave the chill, then the other option is to donate $100 to the ALS foundation.
• In short, douse yourself with a bucket of chilled ice water, film the complete process and then post the video to social media.
• Don't forget to nominate your friends to do the same.
The purpose of the challenge
The challenge was started to spread more awareness about ALS, a motor neurone disease and to raise money for the ALS foundation.
What is ALS?
• Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig's disease in the United States is a Motor Neurone Disease.
• It attacks the spinal cord and can lead to speech difficulties, muscle spasms and even paralysis.
• ALS is the most common of the five motor neuron diseases.
Who all took the challenge?
• This ice bucket challenge trend has taken International celebrities by storm including US President Barack Obama, Oprah Winfrey, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Lady Gaga, Oprah Winfrey, Justin Bieber and many more.
• Novak Djokovic, Mickey Rourke, Robert Downey Jr, Justin Timberlake, Lil Wayne, Taylor Swift, Cristiano Ronaldo are among few other international celebs who took the challenge.
• Amongst those who brought the fever to India are Sania Mirza, Bipasha Basu, Rohan Bopanna, Ritesh Deshmukh who have taken the challenge and further nominated many more friends to perform the same.