Two hundred and thirty four constituencies of Tamil Nadu Assembly will go to Assembly elections on May 16. The results will be declared on May 19.
Here is the election and the parties contesting it in details:
- Total seat in the Assembly: 234
- Total Lok Sabha seats: 39
- Total Rajya Sabha seats: 19
Main parties contesting this election:
The All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) led by current Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa who is contesting this election from RK Nagar. The party is contesting from 227 seats. [Understanding TN politics ahead of polls]
ALLIES: The AIADMK has alliance with Sarathkumar's All India Samathuva Makkal Katchi and actor-politician Karuna's Mukkulathor Puli Padai. [TN poll results: 1952-2011]
Other allies of the AIADMK in this election include Republican Party, Tamil Nadu Kongu Ilaignar Peravai, Tamil Maanila Muslim League. Muslim leader Thameeeum Ansari is also an ally of Jayalalithaa.
- AIADMK's seats in the Assembly as per the 2011 election: 150
- AIADMK's seats in Lok Sabha/Rajya Sabha: 37/11
- AIADMK's vote-share in 2011 and 2014 elections: 38.4 per cent, 44.3 per cent
The Dravida Munnetra Khazagam (DMK) led by M Karunanidhi who is contesting from Tiruvarur. The party is contesting from 176 seats.
ALLIES: The DMK has alliance with the Congress (41 seats); Indian Union Muslim League - 5 seats; Puthiya Tamizhagam - 4 seats; Manithaneya Makkal Katchi - 5 seats; Perunthalivar Makkal Katchi; Samuga Samathuva Padai; Tamil Nadu Peasants and Workers Party - 1 candidate each.
- DMK's seats in the Assembly as per the 2011 election: 23
- DMK's seats in Lok Sabha/Rajya Sabha: 0/4
- DMK's vote-share in 2011 and 2014 elections: 22.3 per cent, 23.6 per cent
The People's Welfare Front (PWF) led by the Desiya Murpokku Dravida Kazhagam (DMDK) of actor-politician Vijayakanth who is contesting from Ulundurpet constituency. The DMDK is contesting in 104 seats.
ALLIANCES: Vaiko's Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) to contest in 29 seats; GK Vasan's Tamil Maanila Congress (TMC) to contest in 26 seats and Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi (VCK), CPI and CPI(M) to contest in 25 seats each.
- DMDK's seats in the Assembly as per the 2011 election: 20
- DMDK's seats in Lok Sabha/Rajya Sabha: 0/0
- DMDK's vote-share in 2011 and 2014 elections: 7.8 per cent, 5.1 per cent
The Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK) led by S Ramadoss who will contest from Pennagaram.
ALLIANCES: PMK has no alliances and in contesting in 234 constituencies.
- PMK's seats in the Assembly as per the 2011 election: 3
- PMK's seats in Lok Sabha/Rajya Sabha: 1/0
- PMK's vote-share in 2011 and 2014 elections: 3 per cent, 4.4 per cent
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) led by Narendra Modi. The Tamil Nadu state president of the BJP is Tamilisai Soundararajan who is contesting from Virugambakkam (Chennai). The BJP will contest in 134 seats.
ALLIANCES: The Indiya Jananayaga Katchi will contestin 45 seats; Akila Indiya Makkal Kalvi Munnetra Kazhagam to contest in 24 seats and Muslim Munnetra Kazhagam to contest in one seat.
- BJP's seats in the Assembly as per the 2011 election: 0
- BJP's vote-share in 2011 and 2014 elections (TN): 2.2 per cent, 5.5 per cent