New Delhi, July 29: Dr APJ Abdul Kalam who passed away while delivering a lecture on "The Livable Planet Earth" at IIM-Shillong will be immortal. He was a visiting professor of IIM-Shillong. His death has created a vacuum which can not ever be fulfilled but his dedication towards his work will continue to inspire many of us.
He is celebrated for his many professional accomplishments and admired for his character, his sincere dedication to improving India his beloved motherland.
Known as the people's President, he was the first occupant of the Rashtrapati Bhawan who connected to masses, particularly the youth, who accessed him via the internet.
Born on 15th October 1931 at Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu, Dr Kalam, specialized in Aeronautical Engineering from Madras Institute of Technology.
Here are some miscellaneous facts about Dr APJ Abdul Kalam
- United Nations decided to honour Dr APJ Kalam on his 79th birth anniversary and declared his birthday on October 15 as the ‘World Students' Day'.
- In 2005, Switzerland also declared May 26 as 'Science Day' to commemorate Dr Kalam's visit to the European country.
- A bachelor, the former president was a 'Veena' player and was deeply interested in Carnatic music. He remained a vegetarian all his life.
- He narrowly missed achieving his dream of becoming a fighter pilot, as he placed ninth in qualifiers, and only eight positions were available in the Indian Air Force (IAF).
- He was nominated for the MTV Youth Icon of the Year award in 2003 and 2006.
- The Bhutanese government ordered the country's flags to fly at half-staff to mourn Kalam's death, and made an offering of 1000 butter lamps in homage.
- He has also received honorary doctorates from 40 universities.