Yoga which is about self acceptance and self discovery is 5,000 year old legacy from India. Yoga it is said integrates mind, body and soul. With the efforts of Prime Minister Narendra Modi who himself is a yoga enthusiast, the United Nations (UN) decided to celebrate 21st of June each year as Yoga Day.
Last year the first International Yoga Day was celebrated with great enthusiasm world over. The proposal to celebrate International Yoga Day had received support from 175 nations, including USA, Canada and China co-sponsored the resolution. This is the highest number of co-sponsors ever for any UNGA Resolution of such nature.
Last year the main event on held on Rajpath in Delhi where thousands of colourful mats were laid. PM Modi himself had led thousands in the mass yoga event. PM had done stretches, bends and breathing exercises with 35,000 school children, bureaucrats and army men.
35,985 people belonging to 84 nations joined the #YogaDay programme at Rajpath. 2 world records have been set. Yoga truly unites.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) June 21, 2015
Continuing from last year's celebrations for Yoga the Government plans to organise massive event to celebrate the Second International Yoga Day on 21 June, 2016. Ministry of AYUSH will conduct following activities to celebrate the Second International Day of Yoga.
Chandigarh to host #InternationalYogaDay event this yearApril 21, 2016
- Mass Yoga demonstration following a Common Yoga Protocol on 21st June, 2016.
- A two-day International Conference on "Yoga for Body & Beyond".
- An International Yoga Fest, as Curtain Raiser to International Day of Yoga during 20-22 April, 2016 at Delhi which has already been organised.
- Mass Media Campaign through radio TV, digital cinema and social media.
- Mobilisation of School Children for performing Yoga on 21st June, 2016.
- Various Yoga organisations to provide technical support to States and UTs in Yoga training.
- Yoga organisations to organise camps at various centers.
- States and UTs requested to organise Mass Yoga demonstration at State, District, Block and Panchayat level.
- All Ministries and Departments advised to organise Mass Yoga demonstration in their offices or premises.
- Mobilisation of NCC, NSS, Bharat Scouts & Guides, NYKS and other organisations for organisation of Mass Yoga Demonstration and other events on the occasion.
- Mass Yoga Demonstration to be organised abroad through Indian Missions.
- Central Council for Yoga & Naturopathy to organise one month training session in Common Yoga Protocol in each district through Yoga Institutions, NGOs, District Administration, etc. culminating in organisation of Mass Yoga Demonstration on 21th June 2016.