In a major reprieve for Bollywood superstar Salman Khan, the Bombay High Court on Friday suspended the 5-year sentence awarded to him in the 2002 hit-and-run case, admitted his appeal against conviction and granted him bail.
Arguing for the 'Dabangg' Khan the defence lawyers claimed that nobody examined singer Kamaal Khan, who was reportedly present inside the car with the actor on that fateful night.
Here is all you need to know about Kamaal Khan:
- Kamaal Khan is a Bollywood/Hindi Pop singer, actor, lyricist, music producer and businessman of British origin.
- He presently lives in Zurich, Switzerland.
- Kamaal Khan wrote and produced his debut album "O Oh Jaane Jaana" in London, in 1995, and became a hit in UK.
- In 2005, he made his acting debut in the film "Jo Bole So Nihal" in which he worked with Bollywood star Sunny Deol.
- 1998, Kamaal's 'O Oh Jaane Jana' also featured in Bollywood flick Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kya starring Salman and Kajol.
- The soundtrack became immensely popular after being featured in the film and went on to sell over 10 million copies.
- Following this, Kamaal became Salman's on-screen voice and went on to lend him his voice in over a dozen of films.
- Following his debut hit, Kamaal was immediately signed by record label HMV in December 1997
- Kamaal has also worked with two time Oscar winning Musical Director AR Rahman.
- Kamaal has performed over 250 concerts in arenas across the globe as a solo artist.
- Kamaal Khan won the "RD Burman" Filmfare Award for the "Most Promising Upcoming Talent" in 1999.
- He also bagged numerous MTV, Filmfare, ZEE and Channel [V] awards for singing.
- Kamaal landed into controversy after the 2002 hit-and-run case, in which 1 person was killed and 3 were injured while he was returning from a bar with his actor friend Salman Khan.
- He is said to have ran away from the spot along with convicted actor, Salman Khan, after mob started venting its anger over the car.
- Despite being a crucial witness in such a high-profile case police as well as prosecution never examined Kamaal.
- However, his statement was later recorded by the Bandra Police.