President Pranab Mukherjee's wife Suvra Mukherjee, who was hospitalised in the Army Hospital since last 11 days passed away on Tuesday morning. President himself tweeted about the sad news.
As soon as the news of her death trickled in, political leaders across party line including Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed their condolence messages.
Here are the facts one should know about President's wife, a very talented lady.
- 70 year old Suvra Mukherjee was born on September 17, 1940 in Bangladesh.
- Suvra who leaves two sons Abhijit, a Congress MP, and Indrajit and daughter Sharmistha behind, married to President on July 13, 1957.
- She became the first First Lady to die when her spouse Pranab Mukherjee is still in office
- The family of the Suvra had migrated to Kolkata when she was mere 10 years old.
- A graduate President's wife was big fan of poet Rabindranath Tagore.
- Not only that people may not aware that she was an accomplished Rabindra Sangeet singer.
- It is being said that she performed poet's dance-dramas not only in India but across the globe I.e in European and African countries.
- President's wife had also founded the Geetanjali Troupe whose mission was to propogate the Tagore's philosophy.
- She played a pivotal role in all productions of the troupe.
- Suvra Mukherjee was also closely associated with noted singer Kumar Sanu who used to launch his albums on Rabindra Sangeet and devotional music after taking her inputs on the same.
- Apart from her interest in the music, she was also a extremely talented painter.
- There are many group and solo exhibitions to her credit.
- Suvra considered her mother an inspiration who herself was an established painter.
- President's wife had written two books, Chokher Aloey and Chena Achenai Chin
- In Chokher Aloey book she wrote about her close interaction with Indira Gandhi while Chena Achenai Chin, a travelogue she recounted her visit to China.