New Delhi, Nov 10: Prime Minister Narendra Modi's maiden visit to UK is eagerly awaited by scores of Indian people residing there while on the other hand handful of people have also started opposing his visit to the nation.
Modi's visit to the United Kingdom is significant as it is the first by an Indian Prime Minister in over a decade.
Awaaz, a UK based organisation has put up a message ''MODI NOT WELCOME" at the Palace of Westminster in London. It has also urged people to participate in a rally to be organised on November 12 at 10 Downing Street during Modi's visit to the UK.
Here are some facts you need to know about Awaaz Network organisation and why it is opposing PM Modi's visit
- Awaaz Network is a UK-based secular network of individuals and organisations committed to monitoring and combating religious hatred in South Asia and in the UK.
- It came into being about a decade ago and has raised its voice against communal hatred and intolerance in Bangladesh and Pakistan.
- The organisation has been an opponent of Hindu fascism and terrorism in the name of religion.
- Awaaz had released a book - Narendra Modi Exposed : Challenging the myths surrounding the BJP's prime ministerial candidate in March 2014.
- The organisation held a protest rally against LK Advani, then home minister of India, on August 21, 2002. Advani was supposed to visit London on that time.
- A seminar on religious fundamentalism in Pakistan, gender and religious violence and the Kashmir conflicts was organised by Awaaz in July 2004.