"Mr Navjot Singh Sidhu was admitted to Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals Delhi today evening with acute deep vein thrombosis (DVT). This is a life threatening condition if not treated on time.
Sidhu later tweeted saying, "Down but Not Out! Life threatening disease (DVT) With God 's Grace will recover. Life is Fragile, handle with Prayer."
Let us know more about the disease:
What is DVT?
- Deep vein thrombosis, or deep venous thrombosis, (DVT) is the formation of a blood clot (thrombus) within a deep vein, predominantly in the legs which hinders the normal blood flow.
- It is a common but difficult to detect illness that can be fatal if not treated effectively.
- Blood clots occur when blood thickens and clumps together.
- Most deep vein blood clots occur in the lower leg or thigh. They also can occur in other parts of the body.
Signs and symptoms
- The symptoms may include swelling, pain, and tenderness, often in the legs.
- Non-specific signs may include redness, warmness, and engorged superficial veins.
- Cramping pain in your affected leg.
- Feeling tired.
How to prevent DVT:
- Prevention options for at-risk individuals include early and frequent walking, calf exercises, anticoagulants, aspirin.
- Quitting smoking may also help.
- Eating balanced meals.