Narendra Modi government at Centre has made yet another secretary-level change by appointing Hasmukh Adhia as the new Financial Services Secretary replacing GS Sandhu.
Here are a few things you should know about Adhia:
- Hasmukh Adhia is a 1981 Gujarat cadre IAS officer.
- His appointment as Secretary of Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Finance, was approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
- A post graduate degree in accounting and a gold medallist from Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, Adhia is at present a member of the board of governors of IIM-A.
- He also possesses a doctorate degree in Yoga from Swami Vivekanada Yoga University, Bengaluru.
- He had also participated in a workshop training at Maxwell School of Public Affairs at Syracuse University at US.
- At present he is Additional Chief Secretary, Finance Department, Government of Gujarat.
- He was Principal Secretary Education Department till January, 2013 and Principal Secretary to the then CM of Gujarat, Narendra Modi, from May 2004 to May 2006.
- Adhia enjoys direct access to the PM, since he has been a part of several of Narendra Modi's projects during his stint as Gujarat CM.
- He had held the position of Industries Commissioner, Managing Director, Gujarat Industrial Investment Corporation as well as Vice Chairman & Managing Director, Gujarat Industrial Development Corporation.
- As per Ahmedabad Mirror Adhia is the brains behind Gujarat's successful 'Karmayogi' ( a teachers' training programme) and 'Kanya Kelavani' (for women's education) programmes.
- Known for his no-nonsense attitude Adhia does not cede to any vested interests.
- He has even authored a couple of motivational books that deal with government administration and practical tips for bureaucrats to help in day-to-day governance.
- One of his books is titled, 'My notes to my Self.'