Uttar Pradesh will go to Assembly elections early in 2017. The state has an Assembly comprising 403 seats and a party/alliance has to win 202 seats to form the government.
In 2012, when the last state election was held in UP, the Samajwadi Party had won 224 seats to get a decisive majority.
We, at Oneindia, will take one Assembly constituency a day and have a look at electoral information related to it:
Constituency Name: Saharanpur Nagar (General) [comprises Saharanpur NPP] This seat came into being in 2008 following the delimitation.
- Constituency No. 3
- District: Saharanpur (Saharanpur Nagar is an Assembly segment under Saharanpur Lok Sabha constituency)
- Area of district: 3,689 square kilometres (rural 3,582 sq km)
- District population: 34,66,382 (78% general caste; 22% SC; 0% ST)
- District literacy: 60%
- District urbanisation: 30%
2012 Assembly election result in Saharanpur Nagar
- Winner: Raghav Lakhanpal (BJP) Lakhanpal later quit as an MLA from this seat after he was elected as an MP to the 16th Lok Sabha in 2014. He was replaced by Rajeev Gumber, also from the BJP, who won the by-election in this seat in 2014.
- Votes received: Lakhanpal got 85,170 votes [Gumber's vote number was 1,08,306]
- Vote percentage: 38.80 (Gumber's % was 48.87)
- Nearest rival: Saleem Ahmed (Congress)/ Sanjay Garg (SP) in the by-election
- Votes: Ahmed got 72,544 votes (Garg's vote number was 81,639)
- Percentage: Ahmed's vote share was 33.05 (Garg's % was 36.84)
- Difference: Lakhanpal won by 12,626 votes (Gumber won by 26,667 votes)
- Margin %: Lakhanpal's winning% was 5.75/Gumber's 12.03
- Total voters: 3,49,364
- Turnout: 62.90%
- Party which has won Saharanpur Nagar most number of times: BJP (twice---in the 2012 Assembly election and 2014 by-election)
2014 Lok Sabha result in Saharanpur
Raghav Lakhanpal (BJP) defeated Imran Masood (Congress) by 65,090 votes (margin% - 5.45)
About Saharanpur: Saharanpur is famous for exporting handicraft and woodcraft of which moorhas come from Behat. However, because of the middleman problem, the local cratsmen do not gain much.
Issues of the constituency: Lack of development in infrastructure, lack of higher education centres Shortage of facilities for traders of fruits and furniture business. Electricity shortage is also a major problem in Saharanpur. Communal clashes have also been a problem in this district.