Uttar Pradesh will go to Assembly elections early in 2017. The state has an Assembly comprising 403 seats and a party/alliance has to win 202 seats to form the government.
In 2012, when the last state election was held in UP, the Samajwadi Party had won 224 seats to get a decisive majority.
We, at Oneindia, will take one Assembly constituency a day and have a look at electoral information related to it:
Constituency Name: Gangoh [Comprises KCs 2-Ambehta, 5-Gangoh, Chilkana Sultanpur NP, Ambehta NP, Titron NP & Gangoh NPP of 3-Nakur Tehsil; KC 6-Nanauta & Nanauta NP of 4-Deoband Tehsil.]
- Constituency No. 7
- District: Saharanpur (Gangoh is an Assembly segment under Kairana Lok Sabha constituency)
- Area of district: 3,689 square kilometres (rural 3,582 sq km)
- District population: 34,66,382 (78% general caste; 22% SC; 0% ST)
- District literacy: 60%
- District urbanisation: 30%
2012 Assembly election result in Gangoh
- Winner: Pradeep Kumar (Congress)
- Votes received: 65,149
- Vote percentage: 28.44
- Nearest rival: Ruder Sain (SP)
- Votes: 61,126
- Percentage: 26.68
- Difference: 4,023
- Margin %: -2.24
- Total voters: 3,17,224
- Turnout: 72.2%
- Party which has won Gangoh most number of times: This constituency came into existence in 2008 following delimitation (Congress has won it once)
2014 Lok Sabha result in Kairana
Hukum Singh (BJP) defeated Nahid Hasan (SP) by 2,36,828 votes (margin% - 21.05)
About Saharanpur district: Saharanpur is famous for exporting handicraft and woodcraft of which moorhas come from Behat. However, because of the middleman problem, the local craftsmen do not gain much.
Issues: Lack of development in infrastructure, lack of higher education centres Shortage of facilities for traders of fruits and furniture business. Electricity shortage is also a major problem in Saharanpur. Communal clashes have also been a problem in this district.