Uttar Pradesh will go to Assembly elections early in 2017. The state has an Assembly comprising 403 seats and a party/alliance has to win 202 seats to form the government. In 2012, when the last state election was held in UP, the Samajwadi Party had won 224 seats to get a decisive majority.
We, at Oneindia, will take one Assembly constituency a day and have a look at electoral information related to it:
Constituency Name: Deoband (General) [comprises KCs 1-Deoband, 2-Bhaila, 4- Talheri Bujurg & Deoband NPP of 4-Deoband Tehsil]
- Constituency No. 5
- District: Saharanpur (Deoband is an Assembly segment under
Saharanpur Lok Sabha constituency)
- Area of district: 3,689 square kilometres (rural 3,582 sq km)
- District population: 34,66,382 (78% general caste; 22% SC; 0% ST)
- District literacy: 60%
- District urbanisation: 30%
2012 Assembly election result in Deoband
- Winner: Late Rajendra Singh Rana (SP) [Congress's Mavia Ali won the by-election from Deoband in February 2016]
- Votes received: 66,682
- Vote percentage: 34.1
- Nearest rival: Manoj Chaudhary (BSP) [Mavia Ali defeated SP's Meena Devi in 2016 bypoll]
- Votes: 63,632
- Percentage: 32.5
- Difference: 3,050 votes/Ali won by 3,400 votes
- Margin %: 1.56
- Total voters: 2,92,273
- Turnout: 67.02%
- Party which has won Saharanpur Nagar most number of times: Congress won it 9 times; BSP twice; BJP and SP once each.
2014 Lok Sabha result in Saharanpur
Raghav Lakhanpal (BJP) defeated Imran Masood (Congress) by
(margin% - 5.45)
About Saharanpur district: Saharanpur is famous for exporting handicraft and woodcraft of which moorhas come from Behat. However, because of the middleman problem, the local craftsmen do not gain much.
Issues: Lack of development in infrastructure, lack of higher education centres Shortage of facilities for traders of fruits and furniture business. Electricity shortage is also a major problem in Saharanpur. Communal clashes have also been a problem in this district.