What is the scheme all about?
- The scheme is aimed at creating a conducive environment for industrial development and doing business with ease.
- At least four crore labourers are expected to benefit from this scheme.
- Labourers will get Unique Labour Identification numbers (LIN) to facilitate their online registration.
What has been launched?
- Unified Labour Portal or 'Shram Suvidha'
- Transparent and accountable Labour Inspection Scheme
- Universal Account Number (UAN) for Employees' Provident Fund members
- Apprentice Protsahan Yojana
- Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY)
What Modi said at the event?
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that we needed to change our attitude towards labour.
- He said, "In our country, white-collar jobs are given a lot of importance, but 'Shramev Jayate' is equally important as 'Satyameva Jayate'."
How it is important for workforce?
- The UAN will allow collation of accounts and viewing of updated PF accounts.
- The UAN would be portable throughout the working careers of members and can be used anywhere in India.
- The workers in the organised sector would not need to apply for a transfer of their PF account claim on changing jobs.
Labour Inspection scheme
- Under the scheme, the labour inspectors will get auto-generated lists which will tell them where to go for inspection.
- The inspectors will have to upload their reports on to the portal within 72 hours of carrying out an inspection.
- It will end the Inspector raj.
- A computerised system will randomly send 1,800 labour inspectors on inspections to inspect companies, based on data and objective criteria.
LIN: Unified Labour Identification Number
- The LIN will simplify business regulations and secure transparency and accountability in labour inspections.
- This will be done by the agencies under the administrative control of labour Ministry.
- The LIN web portal will operate through a unique LIN or Shram Pehchan Sankhya for each employer.
- The portal will provide for the e-filing of annual returns by employers.
Apprentice Protsahan Yojana
Under this, 50 per cent support for training in MSMEs will be provided by the labour ministry.