The Republic Day celebrations start at the Amar Jawan Jyoti where Prime Minister Narendra Modi will lead the nation in paying homage to the martyrs by laying a wreath at the memorial
Here are the some interesting facts you need to know about the Republic Day celebration in the country
- This day in 1950, Indian Constitution was formally adopted.
- Republic Day celebrations last for three days. Beating retreat, the ceremony held on the evening of 29th January marks the end of three-day long celebrations.
- France has been the most special Republic Day guest for India. Visiting president Francois Hollande is the fifth French leader who has joined R-Day celebrations as chief guest.
- For the first time, an all women's CRPF daredevil team will perform at 67th Republic Day on January 26, 2016.
- For the first time a 76-member French Army contingent led by a French military band consisting of 48 musicians took part in parade on Rajpath on January 26, 201
- Army dog squad from remount veterinary corps to participate in the parade at Rajpath after a gap of 26 years.
- Then Indonesian President Sukarno was the first guest of honour in India for the Republic Day's celebration in 1950.
- Indian constitution is the largest caligraphed constitution in the world and Dr Ambedkar took 2 years, 11 months and 18 days to prepare it.
- Indian constitution is written in both English and Hindi.