The Indian Red Cross Society has launched an app to address problems associated with blood shortage in India. This Blood Banking App is part of a larger digital blood banking initiative that has been rolled out by Red Cross Society in association with J Walter Thompson.
India records shortage of around 3 million units of blood. The importance of the app can be figured out from the fact that every two seconds an individual in India needs blood.
The app is currently being tested in Bengaluru and later on it will be used in other parts of the country and rest of the world.
Why the App:
As the demand for blood increases world wide it is necessary that there is a safe and secure way to ensure sufficient supply of blood.
Such an App was needed so that the psychological factors and negative perceptions among people regarding blood donation can be removed.
It should be noted here that only 10 percent people ever donate blood and one voluntarily rarely supports such a noble cause as blood donation.
This App has replaced the word 'donation' with 'saving' and 'banking' giving a feeling of saving the blood for one's own future good in one's own Blood Banking Account.
Indian Red Cross Society:
Indian Red Cross Society is a huge name with its numerous blood banks across the length and breadth of India.
Now by coming up with blood bank app it has made the process of blood deposit, withdrawal and transfer extremely easy for the tech savvy people.
As per General Secretary of Indian Red Cross Society Karnataka State Branch, S Ashok Kumar Shetty, this app offers solution to the most critical problem of searching for a blood donor at the time of urgent need.
How will the App help:
- The App will help people to donate blood on regular basis by opening blood banking account. The account can be opened only at any Red Cross affiliated blood bank.
- A unique number will be provided to the donor which will help in monitoring the donors' accounts.
- The app will store information about when is the next saving due.
- Through the app donor can transfer the blood available to others.
- App also ensures that blood bank account holder can keep a track on the complete blood deposit cycle on the digital platform.