Riyadh, Sept 25: In a second major mishap in the Muslim holy city of Mina in Saudi Arabia, at least 719 people including 4 Indian, were killed and over 805 were injured during a stampede on Thursday, Sept 24.
A woman from Telangana has been identified among the Haj pilgrims killed in the stampede. An official of the Telangana State Haj Committee said that the deceased had been identified as Bibi Jaan, a resident of Ranga Reddy district near Hyderabad.
Here is list of mishaps occurred during Hajj
- At least 200 pilgrims died in after an exploding cyclinder caused a fire in a tent colony in 1975.
- A clash between Iranian demonstrators and Saudi security forces left more than 400 pilgrims dead on July 31, 1987.
- Bombing at Hajj site in 1989 claimed lives of two people.
- July 2, 1990: At least 1426 Hajj pilgrims were killed in a stampede inside a pedestrian tunnel.
- May 23, 1994: Stamped during the ritual of stoning of devil claimed lives of 270 people.
- In a major fire occurred in 1997 left 343 pilgrims dead and 1500 people injured.
- April 9, 1998: An incident at Jamarat Bridge left at least 118 people dead.
- At least 35 Hajj pilgrims were killed during the stoning of the Devil ritual on March 5, 2001.
- At least 14 people lost their lives during the same ritual on February 11, 2003.
- Stampede at stoning ritual claimed lives of 251 pilgrims in Mina on February 1, 2004.
- January 12, 2006: A stampede during the stoning of the Devil on the last day of the Hajj in Mina killed at least 346 pilgrims and injured at least 289 more.
- 111 people died and 394 were injured in crane collapse in the grand mosque on September 11, 2015.