Flashback 2015: Terrorism at its worst, many innocent lives lost

Like the previous year, this year too terrorism bagged headlines across the world. Whether it was the deadly Charlie Hebdo attack earlier this year or the shocking Paris attacks in November, terrorism was a major point of discussion among many world leaders and during many summits.

We take a look at some of the most deadliest and gruesome terror attacks across the world in 2015 that claimed innocent lives and established that terror groups were out there to spread fear and panic among people.

Paris attacks

Paris terror attacks

Multiple co-ordinated terror attacks rocked Paris on the night of Nov 13 this year killing 130 people and injuring many. The attack termed as the deadliest one on France since World War II, was carried out by ISIS.

ISIS claimed responsibility for the same and said that 'the attacks were in retaliation to the French airstrikes in Syria and Iraq.

Also read: Paris attacks: Mastermind Abdelhamid Abaaoud planned attack without using phone, email

The attacks occurred at various locations in Paris like the Bataclan Centre, outside Stade de France, le Petit Cambodge, Rue De La Fontaine Au Roi, La Belle Equipe, Boulevard Voltaire. The terrorists attacked restaurants and cafe in these locations shooting indiscriminately at people and detonated suicide vests.

Meanwhile, at the Bataclan threatre where the American band Eagles of Death Metal were performing, terrorists began shooting at the audience and even took some hostages.

While seven of the attackers died, French authorities began to hunt for accomplices. Five days after the attack, police officials stormed into a flat on Saint Denis after reports suggested that suspected ISIS members were holed up there.

After a 7-hour long shootout, the mastermind of the Paris attacks Abdelhamid Abaaoud was killed along with a woman and another person. The woman identified as Hasna Aitboulahcen, was Abaaoud's cousin and is said to have blow herself up.

Also read: Help me, shouted woman bomber during Paris raid

However, one of the main suspects Salah Abdeslam is on the run ever since and is believed to have escaped to Belgium.

Beirut terror attack

Just a day before the deadly Paris attacks, two suicide bombers struck the Southern part of Beirut and killed over 43 people and injuring over 230 others.

Also read: Twin blasts claimed by IS kill 43 in Beirut Hezbollah bastion

ISIS in a statement claimed attack for the bombings. The two ISIS operatives, whose identity is still unknown blew themselves up in a crowded market place; an attack considered worst in the past few years.

There was however severe criticism hurled at the media for not highlighting the Beirut attack as much as the Paris attacks, which was carried out by the same terror outfit.

Worst terror attacks of 2015

Charlie Hebdo attack

On January 7, two masked gunmen entered French satirical weekly newspaper Charlie Hebdo and killed 11 people. The two gunmen are said to be brothers, Said and Chérif Kouachi and identified themselves belonging to Al Qaeda's branch in Yemen.

The gunmen initially entered the wrong building but once they entered the magazine's office, they asked for the editor of the magazine and then killed him and four others. The gunmen said that they were avenging Prophet Mohammed and shouted God is great in Arabic.

Also read: Paris Shooting: At least 12 dead including 2 cops; Gunmen at large

The gunmen then left the building and opened fire at a police car that blocked their way. A few metres away, the gunmen then shot a police officer.

Two days later police officials surrounded a building in Dammartin-en-Goele believing that both the Kouachi brothers were inside. Later on they were shot dead while the were emerging out of the building.

Meanwhile, on the same day, a gunman entered a kosher store in Paris where he took people as hostages. The suspect Amedy Coulibaly was killed in the operation and some police officers were injured. Four hostages were killed and 15 survived.

Mali attack

Hostages takes at Radisson Blu hotel, Mali

Islamist militants stormed the Radisson Blu hotel in Bamako, Mali on Nov 20 and took over 120 hostages before killing 22 of them. The two gunmen arrived at the hotel in a diplomatic vehicle and began firing at people before taking hostages.

Also read: Gunmen mercilessly mowed down guests in Mali hotel siege

Reports suggest that the attack was carried out by al-Murabitoun and Al Qaeda as a joint operation.

Witnesses recount that the gunmen fired at anything that moved. At the time of the attack many foreign nationals were staying at the hotel including 20 Indians.

Once the militants entered the hotel, security forces and UN officials said that the two attackers were killed after the siege but it was not clear how they died.

california shooting

San Bernardino attack

14 people were killed and many injured when a married couple targeted the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health training event. The couple, Syed Rizwaan Farook and Tashfeen Malik after the shooting fled in an SUV.

Also read: California shooting: Woman attacker pledged allegiance to Islamic State

Police officials followed their vehicle and later the couple were killed in a shootout. Farook was a health inspector for the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health. Though the couple were not members of any terror group, reports suggest that Malik had pledged allegiance to ISIS.

The attack was termed as an Islamist inspired terror attack.

No one knows the motive behind the shooting even as investigators are enquiring about whom the couple communicated with and how did they plan the entire shooting.

Udhampur attack

On Aug 5, a group of LeT terrorists attacked a BSF convoy in Udhampur, Jammu that killed two BSF personel and left 10 injured. While one terrorist died, the other identified as Mohammed Naved was arrested. Meanwhile, the rest escaped.

Naved told investigators that he was trained for three months at the Lashkar's Markaz Taiba camp in Mansehra; the same place where 26/11 terrorist Ajmal Kasab had trained.

Naved was pushed through the LoC where he hid at many locations before receiving instructions to carry out the attack.

Also read: How ISI wiped out evidence relating to the Udhampur attack

Mohammad Naved is a resident of Ghulam Mohammadabad in Pakistan and belongs to a poor family. NIA, that is investigating Naved told that he wished to go back to his hometown in Pakistan.

""I gained nothing out of this. They had promised me Rs 50,000 but I never was given that money. Instead my handler kept all the money." he told NIA officials.

During the investigations, Naved provided the NIA with the phone numbers and the addresses of his family and friends. However, none of these numbers are reachable.

As of now the investigators are wrapping up and are likely to file a chargesheet soon.

Please Wait while comments are loading...