Louisiana governor Piyush "Bobby" Jindal who jumped into the 2016 US presidential race with a twitter message. He became the first Indian-American and 13th Republican candidate to do so. He announced his candidature for the White House race on Wednesday.
Below are the important facts need to know about him
- He was born on June 10, 1971 at Baton Rouge, Louisiana, to Amar and Raj Jindal, immigrants from Indian state of Punjab.
- Son of immigrants from India, Piyush Bobby Jindal started his political career while studying at Brown University. He graduated with honors in biology and public policy.
- He became first Indian American to be elected governor in the United States in 2007.
- He turned down admissions to medical and law schools at Harvard and Yale to attend Oxford University as a Rhodes scholar.
- He changed his first name Piyush to Bobby when he was child after one of the characters on the television humorous drama The Brady Bunch.
- He converted to Christianity in high school after a friend shared his faith with him.
- At the age of 28, he was appointed the youngest-ever president of the University of Louisiana system.
- He was appointed assistant secretary for the US Department of Health and Human Services in 2001.