New Delhi, Sept 7: Stage is all set for Delhi University Students Union (DUSU) elections which is considered to be a stepping stone to enter in mainstream politics.
The election for four crucial posts will be held on September 11. Know all the facts related with the student union election of DU.
What is DUSU
- It stands for Delhi University Students Union which is the umbrella student organisation at the University of Delhi.
- It is a representative body of students from most Delhi University Colleges and Faculties
- Each colleges also have its own students union for which they hold separate elections every year
Crucial information about 2015 DUSU election
- Poll will be held on September 11 in two phases (morning and evening)
- It will followed by counting of votes on September 12 which pave way for final results.
- This time a total of 35 candidates are in fray for the four posts of DUSU office bearers while 9 candidates are in race for the post of President
- Apart from BJP backed Akhil Bhartiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) and Congress supported National Students Union of India (NSUI), this time AAP and SAD are also contesting the election.
- AAP's students wing Chhatra Yuva Sangharsh Samiti(CYSS) has also fielded candidates for various post to check party's credibility among students.
- Roll back of Choice-Based Credit System, upgraded hostel facilities, right to accommodation and strengthened security on campus are some of the main issues this time
Name of the candidates
- NSUI has fielded Pradeep Vijayran, a final year LLB student for the post of President, while Prerna Singh of Ram Lal Anand College was selected as the Vice Presidential candidate
- NSUI's Amit Sehrawat from Faculty of Law and Deepak Chaudhury from Hansraj college have been fielded for the post of secretary and Joint Secretary respectively.
- ABVP) has declared Satender Awana from Department of Buddhist Studies as their Presidential candidate and Sunny Dedha from Faculty of Law as the Vice Presidential nominee.
- For the post of Secretary and Joint Secretary, Anjali Rana from Lakshmi Bai college and Chatrapal Yadav from Department of Buddhist Studies are in the fray
- AAP's panel for various posts includes Hitanshi Chauhan from Satyavati College, Garima Rana and Rahul Raj Aryan of Hindu College and Kuldeep Bidhuri of PGDAV College.
Who won last time
- Last year, ABVP had swept DUSU election apparently because of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's charm in 2014 Lok Sabha elction.
- The BJP led organization had crushed Congress's NSUI and bagged all four positions
- Mohit Nagar is the current President. while Parvesh Malik is the Vice President of DUSU
- Kanika Shekhawat is the Secretary and Ashutosh Mathur is the Joint Secretary
Noted politicians from DU
- Many current politicians have their roots in DUSU. They had started their political career from student union elections
- Important Congress politicians including Meira Kumar, Shashi Tharoor, Sachin Pilot, Krishna Tirath, Ambika Soni, Ajay Maken, Salman Khurshid, Kapil Sibal and Virbhadra Singh, all from DU
- BJP's leader including Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, Vijay Goel, Vijay Jolly were also once part of DUSU
- Apart from these Alka Lamba(AAP), Nakul Bhardwaj, Nupur Sharma also owe their political careers to their alma mater
(With inputs from agency)