The Election Commission on Monday announced that the single-phase Delhi assembly polls 2015 will take place on Feb 7, Saturday. "The Model Code of Conduct has come into effect immediately", the Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath said in a press conference held at the Nirvachan Sadan in Delhi.
Here are some key facts:
- Date of Polling: 7th February, 2015
- Date of Announcement of Results: 10th February, 2015
- Date of Poll notification: 14th January, 2015
- Last date of making nomination: 21st January, 2015
- Last date of withdrawal of nomination: 24th January, 2015
- Total number of Assembly constituencies: 70 (general: 58, Scheduled Castes: 12, Scheduled Tribes: 0).
- Total number of polling stations: 11,763.
- Narela constituency has the largest area (143.42 sq. kilometres).
- Number of seats needed for a majority: 36
- Total voters in Delhi: 1.30 crores
- New voters: 1.60 lakh
- First time voters: 1.72 lakh
- Male voters: 72.60 lakh
- Female voters: 58.24 lakh
- First time voters between age of 18 and 19: 40,132
Main parties and their leaders
- BJP: Party has not yet announced its leader
- Congress: Ajay Maken has been announced as party leader.
- AAP: Arvind Kejriwal is leading AAP in Assembly polls.
Previous Governments in Delhi
- BJP was a ruling party in Delhi from 2nd December, 1993 to 3rd December (5 years).
- During this period, Madan Lal Khurana, Sahib Singh Verma, Sushma Swaraj became Chief Ministers.
- Congress was in power from 3rd December, 1998 to 28th December, 2013 (15 years, 25 days)
- During Congress' 15-year-stint, Sheila Dikshit was CM of Delhi.
- AAP was in power from 28 December, 2013 to 15 Feb,2014(49 days)
- Arvind Kejriwal was CM of Delhi during AAP's regime.
2013 Assembly polls
- BJP won 31 seats (33.1% vote share)
- Aam Aadmi Party won 28 seats (29.5% vote share)
- Congress won 8 seats (24.6%)