While President Pranab Mukherjee greeted the soldiers, officers, ex-Servicemen and their families on the eve of the Army Day.
Here are the facts you need to know about the Army Day
- The Army Day is annually celebrated on January 15.
- The day is of great significance and is observed to commemorate the appointment of Lt Gen (later Field Marshal) K.M. Cariappa as the first Indian Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army in 1949.
- It is celebrated at every Army Command headquarters in the country and in the national capital.
- Army Day is celebrated to pay homage and salute to the courageous and brave Indian soldiers who have been sacrificed their lives for protecting the country.
Read More: Modi salutes courage of officers on Army Day
- On Army Day every year, tributes are paid to those soldiers who sacrificed their lives to protect the country and the people living in it at the "Amar Jawan Jyoti" at India Gate in New Delhi on Army Day.
- Bravery awards including Unit credentials and Sena Medals are distributed on the occasion of Army Day.
PM Modi salutes indomitable valour, determination & dedication of Army
PM Modi saluting the indomitable valour, determination & dedication of Army on the ocassion of Army Day.
PM Modi with Army jawans
The Army Day is annually celebrated on January 15.
Army Day is celebrated on Jan 15
We are extremely proud of their dedication and determination: PM Modi on Army Day.
Floral tributes paid on Army Day in New Delhi
Floral tributes paid at Amar Jawan Jyoti on Army Day in New Delhi.
Chief of Army Staff reviews parade on the occasion of Army Day
The Chief of Army Staff, General Dalbir Singh reviewing the parade, on the occasion of 68th Army Day, in New Delhi on January 15, 2016.
President, PM, Vice President, ex-PM attend Army Day function in New Delhi
The President Pranab Mukherjee, the Vice President, Hamid Ansari, the Prime MinisterNarendra Modi and the former Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh at the "At Home" function, on the occasion of 68th Army Day, in New Delhi on January 15.
Chief of Army Staff presents Unit Citation
The Chief of Army Staff, General Dalbir Singh presenting Unit Citation during Army Day Parade, on the occasion of 68th Army Day, in New Delhi on January 15.
Three service chiefs pay homage at Amar Jawan Jyoti on Army Day
The Chief of Army Staff, General Dalbir Singh, the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha and the Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral R.K. Dhowan paying homage at Amar Jawan Jyoti on the occasion of 68th Army Day, in New Delhi on January 15.