Former President A P J Abdul Kalam popularly known as the 'missile man' of India who became popular as 'People's President' took his last breath on Monday after he suffered a massive cardiac arrest and collapsed during a lecture at the IIM in Shillong. He will be cremated at Rameswaram, his birth place on Thursday.
He was credited with helping develop his country's first space satellites. In the 1980s, he was helped design the nuclear-capable Prithvi and Agni ballistic missiles.
Here are some facts about Presidents of India
- Dr Rajendra Prasad was the only president to have held the post in succession. No other president got this opportunity.
- Third President of India Dr Zakir Hussain could not complete his term.
- Fakhruddin Ali Ahmad became second after Dr Zakir Hussain who could complete his presidential term.
- Neelam Sanjiv Reddy became the first president of India who was elected unopposed.
- Dr Shankar Dayal Sharma had also served as Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh and minister in the Central cabinet.
- Pratibha Devisingh Patil became first woman president of India. She started her tenure on July 25, 2007.
- Pratibha Devisingh Patil had also served as Governor of Rajasthan.