Here are a few things you should know about the Lucknow Metro
- On the lines of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) a similar Lucknow Metro Rail Corporation (LMRC) will be taking care of the entire metro project in the state capital.
- Kumar Keshav is the Managing Director (MD) of LMRC.
- Public Investment Board (PIB), on August 26, had given a positive feedback to the project after finding the progress satisfactory.
- In the past, teams from JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency) and World Bank have also arrived in Lucknow to review project for exploring loaning options.
- A total of 34 metro stations will be there in the Lucknow metro.
- Total route length of Lucknow Metro is 33.976 kilo meters.
- Work on first phase of Lucknow Metro begins today and is scheduled to be completed by 2016.
- The 22.878 km long North-South corridor will be constructed in the first phase.
- The first phase will connect the Amausi International Airport and Munshi Puliya.
- Out of proposed 22 stations in the North-South corridor, 19 stations will be elevated and three underground.
- The LMRC had reduced the underground stretch of North-South corridor from 7.5 km to approximately 3.5 km from Charbagh to Hazratganj.
- The cost of the first phase is estimated at Rs 6,757 crore.
- By 2020, an estimated 6.45 lakh passengers will use North-South corridor.
- East-West Corridor, comprising 12 stations, will be constructed under second phase.
- East-West corridor will be 11.098 km long.
UP Government's reaction
- CM Akhilesh Yadav after inauguration said it will ease traffic and bring world-class facility to Lucknow.
- The government considers it a major infrastructural boost to the capital city.
What is opposition BJP saying?
- BJP has expressed its displeasure after the UP Government awarded the project's construction work to L&T infrastructure.
- A case of murder was registered against L&T, in UP's Moradabad, after two people died at its construction site.
- BJP also accused the SP government of taking the credit for Lucknow metro project which was proposed by erstwhile Mayawati regime.