Hyderabad, Feb 10: In an endeavour to encourage underprivileged girls who wish to pursue higher education after Grade 12, Wipro Consumer Care in association with 'Wipro Cares' has announced Santoor Scholarship programme, an initiative which would provide free scholarships. It would be a recurring annual programme, Wipro said in a statement.
"It will be rolled out in 2016-17 and will initially cover Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. The grant given to each of the beneficiaries could be utilised for tuition fees or other expenses incidental only to education," the statement said.
The programme was announced in Hyderabad today in the presence of Telangana Deputy Chief Minister and Minister of Education, Kadiam Srihari and Andhra Pradesh Minister for Social and Tribal Welfare R Kishore Babu, among others, it said.
The scholarships are open to girls from underprivileged and disadvantaged backgrounds who wish to pursue their diploma/degree. To qualify, the student must have passed her grade 10 and 12 from a government school/college.
Applications would be available with the government junior college principals, the statement said.
"The scholarship shall be Rs 36,000 per annum if the diploma/degree college is located in a large city and Rs 24,000 otherwise. 60 per cent of the scholarships is earmarked for students who wish to pursue higher education in the fields of humanities, liberal arts and sciences. The remaining 40 per cent can be availed by students pursuing professional courses," the release said.