Bengaluru, May 11: Former Tamil Nadu chief minister Jayalalithaa along with four others were on Monday acquitted by the Karnataka High Court in the 18-year-old disproportionate assets case. She was convicted by a special court in Bengaluru on September 27 last year. [Follow updates on Jayalalithaa verdict]
The media in Sri Lanka carried the news as soon as the verdict came out. Jayalalithaa, who is expected to become the chief minister of Tamil Nadu any time soon, is known for her strong anti-Lanka sentiments over the issue of ethnic Tamils who have faced difficulties under the Sinhalese establishment in the island nation.
Here is what the Lankan news headlines said about Jayalalithaa's acquittal:
- Daily Mirror: Jayalalithaa acquitted of corruption charges
- Adaderana: Jayalalitha aquitted; to be CM again?
- Lankapuvath: Jayalalithaa acquitted in disproportionate assets case
- Daily News: Jayalalithaa Acquitted of Corruption Charges by Karnataka High Court: 10 Developments
- Dinamina: ජයලලිතාගේ නිදහසත් සමඟ තමිල්නාඩුව පුරා සැනකෙළි
- Dinamina: ජයයලලිතා සියලු දූෂණ චෝදනා වලින් නිදහස්
- Lakbima: නැවත මහඇමැතිකම ලැබෙන හැඩ
- Lankadeepa: ජයලලිතා නිදහස් : චෙන්නායි පුරා උත්සව
- Thinakaran: nஜயலலிதாவின் அரசியல் தலைவிதியை தீர்மானிக்கும் பரபரப்பான தீர்ப்பு இன்று
- Virakesari: ஜெயலலிதா விடுதலை