Bengaluru burns over Cauvery again

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Bengaluru, Sept 12: Violent protests by pro-Kannada activists over the Cauvery Waters issue brought the city of Bengaluru to a grinding halt. Metro services were suspended and all Tamil Nadu buses were told to suspend operations. Protestors took the streets and vandalised property and burnt tyres on the roads causing huge traffic jams.

[PHOTOS: Bengaluru Burns Over Cauvery Again]

While the police say that normalcy is being restored, the commissioner of police, Bengaluru city clarified that no prohibitory order or Section 144 has been imposed in the city.

Bengaluru burns over Cauvery again

Nayandahalli, Mysuru road and Satellite bus stand reported the most violence. Schools and colleges declared an early holiday even as Chief Minister Siddaramaiah wrote to his counterpart to take strict action against those who targeted a Kannadiga run hotel in Chennai earlier on Monday.

The metro rail services in Bangalore came to a halt and all Tamil Nadu bound buses were asked to suspend operations for the day. Mysore road reported the most violence where scores of protestors blocked vehicles and blocked tyres.

The police have increased security. As a result of the violence the city witnessed traffic jams. Additional Commissioner of police, Charan Reddy informed that normal traffic has resumed and the situation is under control. He also said that around the Mysore road there were three cases of vehicle burning.

The CM and the Home Minister have appealed for calm. Security in Tamil dominated areas has been stepped up. While schools and colleges have declared a holiday, several establishments downed shutters. No call to close has been taken by any of the MNCs.

OneIndia News

Please Wait while comments are loading...