Minister of State for Home R P N Singh said government understands the anguish and anger of the people following three years punishment meted out to the juvenile in December 16 Delhi gangrape case. Singh said the government and the court cannot act in anger and have to follow established rule and law.
"The accused juvenile in this case has been given the harshest punishment available under the existing law. The yardstick of defining punishment in criminal cases or redefining the age of juvenile requires serious look and discussions. We are open to such a debate," he said here.
The juvenile convict in the Delhi gangrape case was awarded 3-yr sentence.
The Justice J S Verma Committee, which had suggested some major changes in laws dealing with crimes against women, did not advocate age reduction for juvenile from 18 years despite clamour from a section of the public.
The Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2013 was adopted by Parliament on the basis of the recommendations of the Verma committee. The juvenile convict in the Delhi gangrape case was last week awarded three-year sentence for the rape and murder by the Juvenile Justice Board (JJB).