New Delhi, Aug 26: The Maharashtra government will "do its utmost" to complete the investigation in the Mumbai gangrape case and prosecute the accused expeditiously, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said Monday.
Making a statement in the Lok Sabha, Shinde said: "All the five accused have been arrested. Public order and police are subjects exclusively dealt with by the state."
Shinde said he has spoken to Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and was assured that the case would be tried in a fast track court and verdict would be announced fast.
A 22-year-old photojournalist was raped by five men in an abandoned textile mill complex in central Mumbai last week after her male colleague was beaten and tied-up.