Mumbai, Aug 19: Russian experts visiting Mumbai in the wake of the INS Sindhurakshak tragedy at the naval dockyard here have indicated that the explosions on the vessel might have been caused by inept handling of the equipment.
Sources said the experts' team ruled out technical snag or sabotage as the cause of the mishap that left the 16-year-old submarine in an unusable condition. Eighteen sailors, including three officers, were on board when the explosions took place in the wee hours of August 14. Six bodies have been discovered so far and the rescue team was toiling hard to trace the rest amid zero visibility and mangled metal.
The blasts gave way to a blaze that ignited some weapons on board. The temperature shot up as a result of the fire and melted internal parts of the vessel.
The vessel was refitted in Russia and was returned this January. Defence sources said a submarine undergoes complete check-up, including computerised ones, before it sets out. INS Sindhurakshak was reportedly getting ready for a patrol on August 14.
The navy has ordered a probe into the tragedy.