Mumbai, Aug 14: An Indian Navy submarine, INS Sindhurakshak, was rocked by multiple explosions between Lion Gate and Seta Gate on late Tuesday night at a high-security Naval dockyard in Mumbai.
While addressing the media after reaching Mumbai, the Defence Minister AK Antony condoled the deaths and said, "Relief and support would be given to the families of the sailors who lost their lives in the tragedy."
But he did not mention how many people lost their lives in the tragedy.
Earlier in the day, Antony said, "I feel sad about those Navy personnel who lost their lives in the service of the country."
He briefed Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the mishap before leaving for Mumbai where the incident took place.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said that the state government "is standing by to extend any help possible to the Navy".
The Navy Chief Admiral DK Joshi said, "We don't have the answer as of now. There are several ingredients that can cause a fire."
He also said, "We are hoping for the best but preparing for the worst".
Out of the 18 personnel, two officers and seven sailors were married.
Meanwhile, the Navy has ordered a board of inquiry to ascertain the cause of the fire and submit its findings in four weeks.
<center><iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FaBZiBgJIv8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></center>