New Delhi, Aug 12: As the Defence Minister A K Antony, on Monday, said that the armed forces are free to appropriately respond to the developing situation at the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir, it has emerged that the Pakistan may increase incidents of ceasefire violations.
According to a report, India may witness more incidents of ceasefire violation by Pakistan in the next few months ahead of general elections 2014.
Sources said that Pakistan's Army Chief Gen Pervez Ashfaq Parvez Kayani is expected to retire in coming November and that is why, Pak's Army may be proving its military might to the newly elected PML-N government-led by the Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
Last week, Pakistani troops intuded at Chakan-da-Bagh sector of the Line of Control (LoC) in Poonch sector of Jammu and Kashmir and ambushed a six-member army patrol, killing five Indian soldiers and injuring sixth soldier.
Although, Pakistani Army denied the charges of killling Indian soldiers.
After that incident, Pakistan has repeatedly violated ceasefire five times in past three days, despite India's 'tough' talks.
The violations are happening at a crucial time when Nawaz Sharif's government is desperately trying to improve Indo-Pak ties. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is scheduled to meet his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York in September.
However, the BJP has asked the PM to oppose the meeting with Sharif over the recent killings of five soldiers.
A bilateral ceasefire was signed by India and Pakistan in November 2003.
Amid escalating border tension, Pakistan again violated ceasefire for the fifth time today and targeted Indian military posts with heavy firing for several hours, turning the situation worse.
The defence minister AK Antony had earlier given a 'clean chit' to Pakistan's Army by saying, "20 heavily-armed terrorists along with persons in Pakistan Army uniform" were responsible for the killings near the Line of Control."
But after facing ire from other political parties, the defence ministry issued a fresh statement clarifying that a specialist group of the Pakistan Army was involved in the attack.
Today, at the launch of India's first indigenous aircraft carrier INS Vikrant, Antony told reporters, "The armed forces have freedom to respond to the developing situation there appropriately."