Gas leak scare at Patna hospital treating midday meal kids

Subscribe to Oneindia News

Patna, July 19: The reports of gas leak scare, on Friday, created panic at the Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH), where the children who fell ill after consuming mid-day meal at Chhapra school are admitted.

As per initial reports, the cause behind the gas leak was said to be a minor explosion of a cylinder in an air-conditioner unit in the ICU.

However, later, PMCH Superintendent Amarkant Jha Amar said that smoke came out due to the burning of the AC wire because of voltage fluctuation.

He clarified, "there was no gas leak and the AC was immediately put off and the wire disconnected"

He also said doctors and attending nurses immediately opened the windows for the smoke to go out.

Twenty-four children of primary school, Dharmasati Gandaman of Saran district and a cook, Manju Devi, are admitted in the paediatric ward of PMCH since Tuesday night.

The PMCH Superintendent said all of them are showing signs of recovery.

"Their condition is improving fast and they have been kept here only for observation for a few more days," he said.

"Three children are in the ICU not because they are serious but for safety only", he said.

gas leak

On Tuesday, at least 23 children died after consuming contaminated mid-day meal.

The incident led to violent protests across the state.

OneIndia News

(With PTI inputs)

Please Wait while comments are loading...