Dehradun, July 16: As the residents of tragedy-struck Uttarakhand gather to give their lives a fresh start, amidst damaged roads and washed-away routes, it has emerged that schoolgoing children have paid a hefty price by loosing their schools, in the last month's flash-floods.
According to a report published in IBN Live, 14-year-old Neeraj, a student of Class IX at the Inter College in Guptakashi, is one of the many children who were affected. Worried Neeraj said his school is yet to open since it now houses relief and ration material.
For the time being, he tries to stay in touch with his books at home. He told the news channel that his school was to reopen on July 10 but the date keeps getting postponed and he can't study due to regular power cuts.
Similarly, Shubham, a student of Class X is also worried because
his board exams are not too far and the classes have not restarted
"The weather is not allowing us to remove relief camps from here. Till the time the Kedarnath-Gaurikund route is not cleared, we will have to keep the supplies here", Guptakashi Tehsildar ML Bhitwal said.
Amid the devastation, children of Uttarakhand are hoping to get back to their routine of attending schools and studying. But the tragic incident has left them traumatised as some have lost their family members while many others have been rendered homeless.
With most buildings destroyed or turned into relief camps, it seems the task of rebuilding Uttarakhand will take a long time.
According to official estimates, around 5,000 students in Rudraprayag and Guptkashi have no school to attend.
It is on the state government to rebuild the devastated lives and ensure their livelihood.
The government also needs to ponder over helping students pursue their education.