Chennai, July 10: Most of the experts who viewed the video of the autopsy of Ilavarasan, along with two judges of the Madras High Court on Tuesday, said that a second autopsy was not required as the main injuries had already been covered, a report in The New Indian Express said.
Twenty-one-year-old Ilavarasan was found dead near the railway tracks last Thursday and his family had sensed a foul play in his death. The first post-mortem report said that he had died of head injury.
Forensic experts from JIPMER, Puducherry, and government hospitals in Tamil Nadu viewed the video along with a bench comprising Justices V Dhanapalan and C T Selvam, as per Monday's directions on a petition asking for a fresh autopsy of the body.
One of the experts was nominated by the petitioner. The judges said at the time of the hearing that they had asked the doctors to file their individual observations on the video by 4 pm, the report said.
The experts, however, pointed out some anomalies in the autopsy procedure like unsatisfactory collection of blood for chemical analysis and not weighing the organs as per the standard protocol. A more serious observation was the presence of outsiders, including politicians and lawyers, in the mortuary while the autopsy was being conducted, the report said.
However, the experts yet okayed the post-mortem and opined that another fresh procedure was not required. Some doctors also gave clean chit to the post-mortem.
The expert appointed by the petitioner although said that the autopsy procedure was not much different from the normal case, but he doubted whether it would serve any purpose in a suspicious case like that of Ilavarasan. He said the surgeon might not confirm whether it was a murder or a suicide and preferred a second autopsy.
The judges, meanwhile, adjourned the matter till Wednesday after the reports were submitted by the experts and sought that a copy of the reports to be sent to respective counsels, the report added.